May 17, 2010

B-loche

It was my first stop in Argentina and it will be my new home from June until the snow melts... Bariloche is a cool mountain town with a lot of German and Swiss influence (think lot of St. Bernards and chocolate) that has some of the most breathtaking views you will ever see. We were lucky enough to stay in a friends' log cabin with a gorgeous view of the lakes/mountains, and all the neighbors helped us with everything we ever would have needed. The Argentines (in general, but I have noticed it more outside of the city) are extremely generous people. They want to help you in any way they can, and they will call everybody in their phone book to hook you up in some way, shape, or form!

Our backyard:


Our first stop, Cerro Campanario, has some of the most magnificent views I have ever seen. The lakes go on for MILES and they are all different shapes and colors. You can see mountain peaks in Chile from here, and luckily the first dusting of snow happened the night before so it was even more picturesque.




The next day we took a boat excursion to Puerto Blest. We walked to Lago Frias, which is a bright sea foam green color due to the minerals from the nearby volcano. We packed a picnic lunch and enjoyed the peace and quiet.





Then we walked up a bunch of stairs to this waterfall "cascade" thing that wasn't really that cool. But it was a fun, adventurous day nonetheless. For dinner we had a 7 course meal at a restaurant called Butterfly which consisted of soup in shot glasses, fish with faces, and lamb cooked for 16 hours. It was super gourmet and super delicious!

The next day was probably my favorite day of Mom and Dad's whole visit. When I was 15 I wouldn't believe you if you told me that a mere 8 years later, my favorite day of a trip would be spent in a car with my parents for 7 hours... but it's true! We drove all around the national park region of Bariloche. We passed tons of lakes, rivers, rock formations, and brightly colored trees. Without music. Or drugs or alcohol. Who would've thought huh?





As for an update on my life.... I will be moving to Bariloche in early June for the winter. I don't have a job yet, but I am hoping to be a waitress, bartender, or snowboard instructor (none of which I have any background in with English, let alone Spanish, but I think it will be a learning experience!). Since I am leaving Buenos Aires soon, I have convinced myself that I need to take advantage of the party scene because it will be a real change moving to a mountain town. This "last hurrah" is similar to my schedule when I initially arrived in BA, and involves going clubbing at least twice a week. Why not, right?

Oh p.s. people- I am not sure what my internet situation will be like when I move (not sure if my lake house will have wi-fi) so skype me while you can! xo Raquel OUT

No comments:

Post a Comment