November 22, 2009

Settling In

So I officially left the USA 2 months ago today. In some ways it seems like it has been forever since I have seen family and friends and a big-girl double bed (more on my room later), but at the same time I still feel like I am brand new to this big city.

Buenos Aires is a crazy place. If you're really interested in it's history, check out wikipedia (or a form of real information). I will just tell you that Argentina is a country of many ups and downs. There has been military rule, massive economic collapses, and a 'Dirty War' when 30 million people disappeared in the past 30 years alone. Just when things seem to be getting better, disaster comes. The Argentines seems to have little faith in their economic system (whose peso was equivalent to the dollar before the 2001 crash) and corrupt government, and they therefore do not seem to care about the fact that many of their systems are inefficient and often backwards... because something will probably go wrong soon and they'll have to change it all around anyways.

When I say inefficient, I don't think you really catch my drift. Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this place. BUT...
-their subways system only has 6 lines, and they all only cross downtown. This means you cant use it unless you want to go downtown (which is all the way on the eastern-most part of the city) and then switch and come all the way back. Therefore, everyone takes buses, of which there are about 200 lines which make crazy traffic in the city.
-my photography teacher has now failed to show up to class 2 times, and doesn't tell us so all the students just sit there waiting. I guess this isn't inefficient, though- it's just Argentine (that's another thing- people move to the beat of their own drum... a beat that is usually as slow as a snail's pace).
-the day before Daylight Savings, the Argentine president decided not to do it. Yeah, that's right... she just told everyone not to change their clocks... so we didn't.

OK enough with all the negatives- I really do love living here! I live in a cute apartment with a British girl and I am in a great neighborhood where I can walk to shops, plazas, bars, and restaurants. My room has a bunk bed because a kid used to live there... so I sleep on the bottom and put my crap on the top (also an open invitation to anybody who wants to visit and needs a bed!). I have put up pictures of fam and friends and my previous travels, and I look at them every day :)

I am starting work tomorrow at an American company that ships cars within the US when people move states. It's basically sales and doesn't sound super exciting... but it's a job! (and it pays well & has cool people too)

I also joined a gym near my place, which offers a variety of group fitness classes. Yesterday I went to an African dance class, which was WAY more of a workout than I expected! We did all these crazy moves, and at the end everyone held hands and then laid down and banged on the ground really hard. It was definitely an experience, especially with the super animated teacher with long curly sweaty hair. Hahah I loved it, and after a few more classes I will fit right in with all of Kim's Peace Corps celebrations in Benin!

As far as my amigos go... it's definitely weird living in a foreign country without any of my best friends who I have been surrounded by for my entire adult life. Sure, I have a lot of people to meet for coffee, go out with, etc. but I miss being able to walk downstairs of my Westwood apartment, or down the street, or even across campus to see my best friends and reminisce about high school, freshman year, or the night before. I have met some great people, though, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you are all replaced. JUST KIDDING :)

The weather in the city has been really weird. One day it's hot and sunny, then that night there will be a muggy downpour, tropical style. Then the next day it will be gloomy and drizzly, and then the next day it will be sunny again. Apparently the muggy summers here are absolutely unbearable because there is no beach. Yes, there is a port and the dirty River Plata, but the closest beach is either 4 hours south or in Uruguay. So yeah, that's gonna suck.

That's pretty much the basic gist of my life right now. I spent my last week of freedom (before I sell my soul to the devil and sit in an office from 11-7 Monday through Friday) walking around new barrios, taking touristy tours, and enjoying sunny afternoons at outdoor cafes. I'm currently in a cafe across the street from my apartment called Anden. There's nothing great about it, except for it's proximity and the fact that every time I see it I chuckle because the name reminds me of the scene in 'Dude, Where's My Car?' at the Chinese drive-through (an den?... nothing else, that's it... an den? ummm no thank you... an den?... NO MORE AND THEN!)

Anywayssss here are some highlights from my touristy week. This flower opens and closes depending on the time... as in it is closed at night, then gradually opens until it is wide open at the peak of the day, then starts closing again. This was at about 4 pm:

Congress Building, and then with the fountain in front:


Tango dancers at a weekend outdoor market/fair:

Buenos Aires Cathedral (I know, it doesn't look like a cathedral with the columns but I promise I'm not mistaken). The jacaranda trees are in full bloom right now and the purple flowers make the city so gorgeous!

A random statue that I don't know the significance of:

Old men at a cafe, followed by some street art:




That's the current status of my life for ya... hope you enjoyed it.

Un beso grande!

1 comment:

  1. Well, since I failed to comment on your last blog episode, I will be the first on this one!

    We're thrilled you're having such a great time there...sounds like you've successfully settled in with the living basics, and have totally been enjoying both your travels and your new home base. Your pictures continue to impress--I like that flower; y'think there's a timelapse of it somewhere on youtube? That statue and the tail light motion is awesome too!

    Thanks for the thoughts on the country. Maybe stuff starts making more sense after you've been there for half-a-lifetime--but hopefully you won't be finding that out..LOL..your friends and family here don't have the distractions of a new environment, and so miss you very much. Take it easy, chicca!

    ReplyDelete